Monday, February 8, 2010

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake & Chocolate Frosting

I've had the "Easy Baking Hershey's Cocoa" recipe book for years but last Friday night was the first time that I've baked anything out of it. Mostly because I have no self control & therefore I don't really need to have any of this stuff sitting around my house.

My sister will make this sometimes & I love it & that usually works out great-I can have a slice or two while I'm over at the house & leave it there when I leave to come home.

Well, like I said, I made one last Friday night (the hubby made the frosting while I was getting the little ones in bed-& he did a superb job by the way). Since I'm such a good friend I took a generous bit over to a friend on Saturday.

Anyway, the recipe.


The Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

1-Heat oven to 350 F. Grease & flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2-Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil & vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in water. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

3-Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

4-Prepare "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting; spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.

***One 13x9x2 inch baking pan may be substituted for 9-inch round baking pans. Prepare as directed above. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost as desired.



Chocolate Frosting

1/2 c. butter or margarine
2/3 c. cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1-Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar & milk, beating to spreading consistency. (My husband melted the butter & then poured it in the Kitchen Aid mixer bowl & mixed everything with the wire whisk attachment-& he sifted the powdered sugar & cocoa into the bowl).

2-Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.

Makes about 2 cups frosting.

1 comment: