So I'm a gingersnap snob. I don't hate them, I just don't really like them when they're crunchy. One of my friends has this OLD family recipe that she used & I always loved it when she would make some. They were chewy & fluffy & soft & just the Best. So when she moved far, far (1/2 the world away) so did the yummy gingersnaps. I couldn't very well ask her for the recipe-every person wants to have their special thing they make that people like & besides, it was a recipe passed down through the generations. That's even more sacred than YOUR family pew in church on Sunday. You have to forgive the new people that move in & just don't know any better, but after a while they better get it figured out, right?
Anyway, the gingersnaps. I was blog-hopping & came across this. It's not where I thought that I got it from so I have absolutely no idea where to give the credit. Sorry. And sorry for starting to ramble (again). So, the recipe.
Blue Ribbon Gingersnaps
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. packed light brown sugar (I made my own-see recipe below)
1/4 c molasses (I used some of Joe Trapp's molasses)
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 c sugar (for dipping-it didn't take nearly this much for me though)
1-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2-Cream shortening, brown sugar, molasses, and egg in a large bowl. in a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, blending until mixed. Dough can be chilled for easy handling.
3-Shape the dough into balls the size of whole walnuts. Roll balls in sugar, place on baking sheet. Bake 809 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool on sheet one minute before transferring to rack.
Makes 3-4 dozen
***"Homemade" brown sugar. Just take 1 cup granulated sugar & add 1 Tablespoon of molasses. Mix well****
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Blue Ribbon Gingersnaps & Brown Sugar Recipe
Labels:
brown sugar substition/recipe,
cookies,
gingersnaps
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I just might have to make some of these for our Valentine goodies this weekend. Yum, yum.
ReplyDelete